This veggie supreme pizza is supremely delicious! It’s fully loaded with savory mushrooms, green pepper, red onion, feta cheese and oregano.
Alex and I are 100% passionate about helping you make next-level homemade pizza! We’ve got dozens of recipes and resources for homemade pizza: including how to make the best dough and sauce. Ready for our new favorite pizza topping? Veggie supreme. That’s right: it’s a supreme pizza featuring all your favorite veggies, and it tastes a little meaty too. How do we do it? Well, we’re sharing all our secrets down below. Keep reading for the recipe!
Supreme pizza toppings
What’s on a supreme pizza anyway? From some research, it looks like there are a lot of variations in supreme pizza toppings. A traditional supreme pizza usually has pepperoni and sausage, and potentially a few other meat variations. The veggies that are typically on a supreme pizza are mushrooms, green pepper, and onions. Outside of that, there are many variations! Keep reading for how we created our veggie supreme pizza toppings.
Related: Our Favorite Pizza Topping Ideas | Italian Pizza with Pesto
How to make a veggie supreme pizza
For our veggie supreme pizza, nixed the pepperoni and sausage. But to bring in a meaty flavor, we used our favorite trick: fennel seed! Fennel seed is used in sausage, so when you eat it, it makes your brain think of sausage. Here we’ve sauteed mushrooms with fennel seed, which gives them a savory, meaty flavor. Add to that the standard bell pepper and onion — and a sprinkling of feta cheese to add another hit of savory and salty. It’s so satisfying, and has the vibe of a delivery supreme pizza while being much healthier.
The other trick to a great veggie supreme pizza is a sublime pizza sauce. Here we’ve used our Easy Pizza Sauce, made of fire roasted tomatoes and garlic. Using fire roasted tomatoes is key here: it brings a sweet and tangy flavor, versus typical tomatoes which can sometimes taste bitter out of the can. If you can’t find fire roasted tomatoes, use the highest quality tomato you can find.
Now, of course the most important part of a great pizza is the dough. We have a few pizza dough recipes that you can make depending on your tastes and equipment. Our Best Pizza Dough is our preferred method; we make it using stand mixer, but you can also knead it by hand. Our Easy Thin Crust method is similar but makes a thinner dough that you roll out. Or, you can try our quick pizza dough made in a food processor.
The tools you need
Now, before you attempt this veggie supreme pizza, you’ll need a few special tools. If you’re in it to win it, you absolutely need these two things to make the perfect pizza crust. Here are the tools you’ll need to make truly great Italian pizza:
- Pizza stone: A pizza stone is what makes Italian pizza crust crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. Here’s the best pizza stone we recommend, and a bit more on pizza stone care.
- Pizza peel: A pizza peel is used to slide the pizza onto the hot pizza stone in the oven. We recommend this Standard pizza peel or this Conveyor pizza peel. The conveyor pizza peel is absolutely worth the extra investment since it makes it very easy to slide the pizza out of the oven.
Looking for more pizza recipes?
Outside of this veggie supreme pizza recipe, here are some of our favorite pizza recipes:
- Best Margherita Pizza Recipe
- Pesto Pizza
- Best Ever Taco Pizza
- Mushroom Pizza with Fresh Herbs
- Breakfast Pizza
- Homemade Cheese Pizza
- Mediterranean Pizza
- Perfect Neapolitan Pizza
- Spicy Vegetarian Diavola Pizza
- Loaded Mexican Pizza
- Artichoke & Cherry Tomato Pizza
- Best Anchovy Pizza
- Our Best Vegan Pizza
- Egg Pizza with Pecorino
- Easy Calzone Recipe
- Homemade Easy Pizza Sauce
- KitchenAid Pizza Dough Recipe
- Best Pizza Stone & Best Pizza Oven
- How to Clean a Pizza Stone
- All Homemade Pizza Recipes!
This veggie supreme pizza is…
This veggie supreme pizza is supremely delicious! It’s fully loaded with sauteed mushrooms, green pepper, red onion, feta cheese and oregano.
- 1 ball Best Pizza Dough (or Food Processor Dough or Thin Crust Dough)
- 1/3 cup Best Homemade Pizza Sauce
- 4 baby bella mushrooms
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/4 green pepper
- 1/4 red pepper
- 1 handful thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup mozzarella
- 2 tablespoons feta crumbles
- Dried oregano, for sprinkling
- Kosher salt
- Semolina flour or cornmeal, for dusting the pizza peel
- Make the pizza dough: Follow the Best Pizza Dough recipe to prepare the dough. (This takes about 15 minutes to make and 45 minutes to rest.)
- Place a pizza stone in the oven and preheat to 500°F. OR preheat your pizza oven (here’s the pizza oven we use).
- Make the pizza sauce: Make the 5 Minute Pizza Sauce.
- Prepare the toppings: Slice the baby bella mushrooms. Heat the olive oil in a small skillet. Saute the mushrooms and fennel seeds for about 3 to 5 minutes, until they become golden brown and start to release moisture. Add 3 pinches kosher salt and continue to cook a few minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Finely dice the green pepper. Thinly slice the red pepper. Thinly slice the red onion.
- Bake the pizza: When the oven is ready, dust a pizza peel with cornmeal or semolina flour. (If you don’t have a pizza peel, you can use a rimless baking sheet or the back of a rimmed baking sheet. But a pizza peel is well worth the investment!) Stretch the dough into a circle; see How to Stretch Pizza Dough for instructions. Then gently place the dough onto the pizza peel.
- Spread the pizza sauce over the dough using the back of a spoon to create a thin layer. Add the mozzarella cheese. Top with the mushrooms, peppers, red onion, and feta cheese crumbles. Sprinkle with dried oregano and a few pinches of kosher salt.
- Use the pizza peel to carefully transfer the pizza onto the preheated pizza stone. Bake the pizza until the cheese and crust are nicely browned, about 5 to 7 minutes in the oven (or 1 minute in a pizza oven). Slice into pieces and serve immediately.
You can read Full Here: https://www.acouplecooks.com/veggie-supreme-pizza/